This is one of my favorite meals. I made it yesterday for lunch and ate it again today for lunch. The hubby was home yesterday morning and went out for a run. When he got back I had the rice ready. He likes to eat eggs after running to get some protein. He was trilled to have this Avocado Egg Buddha Bowl as his lunch instead of just eggs and toast.
I mean seriously! Look at the deliciousness! The red stuff smeared on the left side of the bowl is sriracha. Yes! It makes it perfect! Trust me!
First things first, you need to get the taco rice started so it has a chance to cook before you add the avocado and egg.
2 cups rice (not instant)
2 T. vegetable oil
2 tsp. minced garlic
1/4 yellow onion, diced (approximately 1/2 cup)
1 small can tomato sauce
4 cups water
2 T. Knorr tomato bouillon with chicken flavor
1. In a medium pot, add rice, oil, garlic, and onion. Heat on medium-high for several minutes, stirring frequently, until the onion has softened.
2. Add tomato sauce, water, and Knorr tomato flavor (this is a powder and is often found in the Mexican food section, or you can find it here on Amazon: Knorr Bouillon- Tomato Chicken).
3. Cover rice mixture and set heat to medium for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, fluff rice and make sure all the liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes before eating.
Avocado Egg Buddha Bowl- Directions:
1. Make Taco Rice, listed above.
2. In a pan over medium-high heat, fry 1-2 eggs with a little salt and pepper. Cook to a over-easy to over-medium consistency. This will give your rice bowl a bit of “juice” once you break the yolk.
3. Cut up an avocado and place slices on top of rice (use 1/2-1 full avocado).
4. If you are up for it, add sriracha sauce and ENJOY!
So to be honest, I thought this was a vegetarian meal until today. As I was getting the ingredient list ready I noticed that my tomato flavor in fact is a tomato-chicken flavor. While this isn’t a problem for me, I am still a little bummed that the Knorr tomoato isn’t just tomato flavor. I was given the taco rice recipe from a friend about 5 years ago and I guess I never really looked at the packaging to notice the “pollo” part of the label. Ooops. I consider myself a flexitarian as I tend to eat vegetarian but not exclusively. I enjoy an occasional steak and cheese burger.
Happy Friday! Tomorrow I will be posting my DIY Fridays project. I was writing that post earlier and realized I didn’t have my printable pattern ready yet, so tomorrow. Promise!
*This post may contain affiliate links.