Last night I fell asleep on the couch before 8 pm. I. Was. TIRED. To top that, I even snuck a quick 20 minute nap in my car at about 12:30 pm. I drive my daughter to her afternoon program everyday and she naps in the car on the way. She always naps longer then it takes us to drive in, so I leave with enough time to allow for that. That means most days I have about 30-45 minutes to myself while sitting in the parking lot while she finishes her nap before we head in. Yesterday, I reclined my seat, put my feet up and took about a 20 minute nap with her in the parking lot. Seriously, I was dragging yesterday (as I mentioned in my post about my Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie, I was just off).
Luckily for me, I had prepped my coffee-infused breakfast at about 11 am yesterday and shoved in the fridge for this morning. I was super excited to assemble it for my breakfast today. When I say assemble it, I had it separated into 3 parts that mixed together this morning, more about that below in the directions…
I am excited to share this recipe with the blog-universe. I think this combination turned out well. Mocha breakfast you can prep the night before. Tasty and delicious and relatively healthy. Winning!
Mocha Overnight Oats:
1/2 cup instant oatmeal (use GF oats if needed)
3/4 cup liquid (I did 1/2 vanilla almond milk, 1/2 coffee)
1-2 T. chocolate syrup (Hershey’s)
1 T. buckwheat groats
(I use these: Bob’s Red Mill, Organic Whole Grain Buckwheat Groats, they are GF)
1 tsp. chia seeds
2 T. coffee
1. Mix the oatmeal, milk, coffee, and chocolate syrup in a mason jar or another container with a lid. Put in the fridge. (I used 1 Tablespoon chocolate syrup. If you like your Mocha super chocolatey, go up to 2 T.)
2. Take your buckwheat groats and cover with water in a small container that has a lid. Place in your fridge overnight.
3. Mix your coffee and chia seeds in another container. Place in fridge overnight.
1. Strain liquid off buckwheat groats. Rinse. (The buckwheat groats get a little slimy sitting in the water).
2. Mix buckwheat with your oats/milk/coffee/chocolate syrup mixture. This adds a little “crunch” to your oats and they can be omitted if you don’t want to purchase them.
3. Spoon your coffee-infused chia see gel on top. Add a handful of chocolate chips on top.
ENJOY! Either eat in the layers or stir all ingredients together (like shown below).
All mixed together! If you really wanted to get fancy, you could add another swirl of chocolate syrup on top or even some whipped cream. (Ssshhh, I won’t tell anyone if you do!)
*This post may contain affiliate links.