It’s “Meatless Monday” at my house. Whether you choose to do a Meatless Monday meal to try new foods, eat a vegetarian or vegan diet, or just like pasta, this dish won’t disappoint. The biggest of meat eaters won’t even notice it’s meatless (well maybe, but that’s their problem and not yours). This recipe does have red pepper flakes listed, please omit if you are not keen on having a little “spice” in your food.
Spinach and Mushroom Manicotti
1 (8 oz.) package manicotti tubes
1 (24 oz.) jar/ can of pasta sauce
1 (15-16 oz.) ricotta cheese container
2-3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese, divided
2 cups bella mushrooms, finely diced (I used an 8 ounce box)
2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
2 tsp. minced garlic (or 2 cloves)
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook manicotti noodles according to the package directions (Mine said 7 minutes). Once cooked, rinse and drain the noodles.
2. While your noodles are cooking, slice and dice your mushrooms, spinach, and garlic.
3. Pre-heat oven to 375 F.
4. Mix in a large bowl 1 cup of your mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup shredded parmesan, ricotta cheese, egg, mushrooms, spinach, garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
5. Take a 9×13 inch baking pan and spread about 3/4 cup of your pasta sauce on the bottom.
6. Once noodles are cooked and your filling is ready, start stuffing your noodles carefully. Do this either with a spoon or your hands. You want the tube to be full. After you fill each tube, place it in the 9×13 inch pan.
7. Spoon the remaining pasta sauce over the filled noodles. Sprinkle the remaining 1-2 cups mozzarella cheese on top.
8. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, until bubbling. I choose to broil mine after it cooked for 25 minutes. (If you choose to broil yours to brown the cheese, please keep a close eye on it… it will go fast!) The cheese should be melted and starting to turn a golden brown color.
9. Remove from oven and serve! Bon appetit!